Thursday, June 18, 2009

Permanent

For over a year now my Grandma Burke has suffered from cancer and today I found out that she was put on hospice. Hospice is where they make you as comfortable as possible to ease the worldly pain of a weak and human body in its final moments of this probation.
Even though it is hard for me to acknowledge that my Grandmother will die (sooner rather than later), I do realize it. I wont make any long speeches about her life. 1) because writing anything that remotely resembles a eulogy while she is still alive would infuriate her! 2) because no blog could do her justice. 3) How can I describe a person in words who has served her church and family faithfully her whole life? She has already engraved in stone with her actions more than I could ever imprint in words in cyberspace.
What I can say is I love her and I have known love because of her.

David Cook wrote the song Permanent for his brother Adam Cook who was diagnosed with brain cancer. Adam eventually passed but he passed loved. When I hear this song I wonder if my Grandma ever felt alone in her pain. As much as I would like to say I am the Permanent person this song talks about I know that it is in fact my Savior Jesus Christ. I could pretend I have the power to take her pain away but realistically Christ is the only person who has descended below it all to allow us to ascend.

Is this the moment where I look you in the eye?
Forgive my broken promise that you'll never see me cry
And everything, it will surely change
Even if I tell you I won't go away today

Will you think that you're all alone
When no one's there to hold your hand?
When all you know seems so far away
And everything is temporary, rest your head
I'm permanent

I know she's living in hell every single day
And so I ask, oh God is there some way for me to take her place?
And when they say it's all touch and go
I wish I could make it go away but still you say

Will you think that you're all alone
When no one's there to hold your hand?
When all you know seems so far away
And everything is temporary, rest your head
I'm permanent, I'm permanent

Is this the moment where I look you in the eye?
Forgive my promise that you'll never see me cry

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. All the best.

    ReplyDelete